Radstock Co-Operative Society are an independent, member owned co-operative retailer operating a number of community stores located in the Southwest, with a 1,000-acre Dairy Farm.As an ethical retailer they support Fairtrade & local suppliers. They endeavour to engage with the local communities within the trading areas & hold the Co-operative values & principles at the heart of everything they do.
This is a senior management role that will contribute to the society’s overall strategy and will be accountable for the Finance and IT departments.
This will include all of the management accounting, statutory reporting, cash management, tax planning and control activities. You will also have responsibility over the society’s retail and finance systems ensuring efficiency and reliability as well as maximising the post office services revenue.
Some responsibilities will include:
- Management of Finance Manager, IT Manager, and Post Office Branch Manager and indirect reports
- Overseeing the management accounts, as presented by the Finance Manager, ensuring they are reconciled to the retail system and the balance sheet
- Preparing the annual budget, for the Finance, Retail, Farm, Central Operations and HR teams
- Reviewing the quarterly forecasts
- Leading on the Society’s tax management policy, as supported by external tax advisers
- Managing the UK statutory accounts preparation and supporting the corporation tax returns
- Management of working capital and seeking appropriate external funding where necessary
- To present relevant, timely and accurate financial information as part of the weekly SMT meetings
- To assist the CEO in preparing proposals for financial implications of projects and submit cost/benefit analysis
- To manage the financial and IT integration of acquisitions
- To develop systems and procedures to ensure the efficient and effective management of the Society’s finances
- Improve the Society’s financial performance and financial controls
- Relationship management with the Society’s 3rd party software providers
- To formulate and implement the ICT strategy for the Society in conjunction with the SMT
- To prepare financial reports for the Board and to present the financial performance at monthly, evening Board meetings
- Direct management of the Finance manager with overall responsibility for the Finance team consisting of six
- Direct management of the IT manager with overall responsibility for the IT team consisting of two
- Direct management of the Post Office branch support manager, with overall responsibility for six, ensuring income maximisation and cost control
- To develop relationships with direct reports and be an advocate for co-operative values and principles.
- Be a role model displaying the behaviours that underpin these principles - dignified, respectful, customer centric (internal and external), coach, develop, mentor colleagues, integrity, democratic, co-operative and take ownership.
- To monitor the provision of services and goods in accordance with the terms of their contract or service level agreement, taking corrective action where necessary.
Knowledge & Experience
- Statutory and legal accountancy practices
- Internal and external audit processes
- Budgeting and Forecasting
- Corporation tax and VAT regime
- Significant management experience ideally in the IT/Retail sector
- ACCA, CIMA, ACA qualified
- Degree educated
- Professional financial membership