Radstock Co-Operative Society are an independent, member owned co-operative retailer operating a number of community stores located in the Southwest, with a 1,000-acre Dairy Farm. As an ethical retailer they support Fairtrade & local suppliers. They endeavour to engage with the local communities within the trading areas & hold the Co-operative values & principles at the heart of everything they do.
Reporting directly to the CEO, you will lead the Society’s management accounting, statutory reporting, cash management, tax planning, and control activities to ensure they are carried out efficiently, effectively and in line with best practice. Development and accountability of the Society’s finance systems to ensure they are reliable and a best fit for the Society.
Overarching management of the Society’s Post Office services ensuring the maximisation of income, and tight controls.
Some responsibilities will include:
· To be an advocate for co-operative values and principles and to promote and reinforce these within the team.
· Overseeing the period end management accounts, as presented by the Finance Manager, ensuring they are reconciled to the retail system and the balance sheet.
· Preparing the annual budget, in partnership and working collaboratively with the Finance, Retail, IT, Farm and HR teams, ensuring the maximisation of contribution towards Members’ Funds
· Reviewing the quarterly forecasts, and adjust for project activities as required
· Leading on the Society’s tax management policy, as supported by external tax advisers
· Managing the UK statutory accounts preparation and supporting the completing of the corporation tax returns
· To oversee and develop effective relationships with the Society’s external auditors.
· Management of working capital, ensuring that the Society is maximising it cash holdings as well as seeking appropriate external funding where necessary
· Relationship management with the Society’s banking provider, ensuring the submission of required documentation, and attending regular meetings on developments
· To support the CEO in the delivery of proposals and projects signed off by the board.
· To review contracts for financial considerations, and development a matrix of ownership to ensure renewals are planned and considered for budgetary purposes in collaboration with department managers.
· To develop systems and procedures to ensure the efficient and effective management of the Society’s finances.
· To work within a financial control framework, including financial accountabilities and authorities to ensure full financial control.
· To prepare financial reports for the Board and to present the financial performance at monthly evening Board meetings.
· Direct management of the finance manager, with overall responsibility for the finance team consisting of six
The ideal candidate background:
Knowledge & Experience
· Statutory and legal accountancy practices
· Internal and external audit processes
· Budgeting and Forecasting
· Corporation tax and VAT regime
· Significant management experience ideally in the IT/Retail sector
· ACCA, CIMA, ACA qualified
· Degree educated
· Professional financial membership